Here’s what happened: I planned ahead to fit in exercise on Monday, and my plans blew up in my face. What to do? I figured I had three options:
1. Throw up my hands and retreat to the couch with a book.
2. Come up with an alternative plan for exercise.
3. Call myself a failure and other names I won’t type here and feel horrible for the rest of the day.
In this particular case, I planned on exercising later in the day. My morning appointments went later than expected, so I didn’t eat lunch on time. My the time I did eat lunch, I was so hungry I ate more than planned and was too full to go for a planned hard tempo run. By this time it was 3:30pm and it gets dark by 4:30.
I chose option #2. Instead of a planned tempo run, which would not have settled well with my too-full stomach, I went for a power walk with my Nordic walking poles. If you’re not familiar with Nordic walking poles, check them out here: www.nordicwalkingonline.com I power-walked up Bromley Brook Road, a beautiful dirt road that heads up into the Green Mountains. 45 minutes later I was back at home, just as dusk was starting to settle in.
– I got some fresh air and exericse.
– Instead of feeling like a failure, I felt empowered. Life threw me a curve-ball, and I recovered with a hit.
I’m a big fan of planning ahead, but just as big a fan of being flexible. The next time your plans blow up in your face, how will you react?
BONUS: I have an extra pair of Nordic walking poles. If you want to go out for a “test walk”, I’ll be happy to give you a lesson! Contact me at Lynn@LynnGrieger.com and set up an appointment!