- Sitting is the new smoking.
- Lack of exercise is the cause of poor health and obesity.
- A sedentary lifestyle leads to diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease.
These messages make us stop and think, but do they get you moving off the couch?
Energetic, fun and exciting messages about exercise and physical activity make me want to run outside and take a brisk walk:
- Taking a daily walk improves memory and concentration.
- Want to get better sleep? Participate in daily exercise to get your body moving – and ready for a good night’s sleep.
- Guess what you can do to lower cholesterol levels, reduce risk of diabetes, and lower blood pressure? Exercise!
Most of us are really good at coming up with a long list of reasons (or are they excuses?) to skip regular exercise. Write all of the excuses on a piece of paper, then rip that piece of paper into tiny shreds. Now stand up, stretch your arms over your head and breathe deeply.
You’ve just acknowledged the excuses and banished them from your life. You’re ready to move from excuses to action!
Every day for the next four days, do one of these activities:
- Park the car farther away and walk into the store or work.
- Choose one favorite, 30-minute TV show to watch. Then turn off the TV and do something else – anything that doesn’t involve a screen.
- Walk outside at lunchtime for 5 minutes.
- Set a timer on your watch, phone or computer to stand up and stretch every hour.
- Stand up every time you talk on the phone.
At the end of four days, you’re on your way to becoming an active person who includes physical activity into your day. That means you’re improving your health, setting yourself up for restful sleep, and increasing energy levels.
Once you get started incorporating physical activity into your life and thinking of yourself as an active, energetic person the sky is the limit. You might:
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator at work.
- Walk the dog an extra block.
- Go outside with your kids and toss a ball, play hopscotch, or tag.
- Go for a family hike instead of watching a movie.
- Sign up for an exercise class.
- Go dancing or tun on music at home and dance in the living room.
Share your daily activity with me by commenting on this blog or posting at www.facebook.com/healthcoachlynn If you live in the Prescott, AZ area sign up for my women’s beginning 5K group that starts January 18th by emailing me at email@example.com
Become the active, energy-filled person you are meant to be!